Important information

Make sure you have everything you need when coming to China. Some are obvious, like the right visa, some might be less on your mind but are as important, as the access to your Western Social Media fix.

Work visa in China (Z-visa)

How long can I stay in China with a work visa?

This work visa / Z-visa itself only allows to stay max 30 days from the day of arrival in China, during which you and your employer need to obtain a Temporary Residence Permit for the duration of your contract, to a minimum of 90 days and a maximum of 5 years. Note that usually the work visa is a single entry, with the duration of stay being 000, which means the duration is to be determined by the Temporary Residence Permit you get after entering China.

What is the age limit for the work visa in China?

The age limit is 18 – 60 for all applicants. However, there is some flexibility in these requirements, so if you are not in this age range and can find a willing employer, they may still be able to obtain approval for you.

Work visa in China requirements & documents
1. Passport

Applicant’s valid actual passport with at least six months before expiry and at least one blank page left in it.

2. Application form

One accurately and truthfully completed China Work Visa Application Form.

3. Recent photo

One recent passport standard photo affixed to the Application Form.

4. Work permit

Applicants need to submit one of the following work permits obtained through their employers in China:
a. Foreigners Work Permit – issued by the Department of Science and Technology of the PRC.
b. Registration Certificate of Resident Representative Offices of enterprises of foreign countries (regions) – issued by Chinese authorities of industrial and commercial administration.
c. An approval document for commercial performances – issued by the Chinese government authorities for cultural affairs.
d. Invitation Letter to Foreigners for Offshore Petroleum Operations – issued by National Offshore Oil Corporation.

5. Supporting documents

Applicants might be required to submit supporting documents on a case-by-case basis. This could include a medical form and criminal history check, which has been notarized and authenticated. If you are not required to submit the medical form, you still need to take a medical check when applying for the Temporary Residence Permit in China. Download Physical Examination Record for Foreigner to check the tests you need to go through.

How to apply for the work visa in China

You can go to the Chinese embassy, consulates or other diplomatic missions in person for application. You can also have a friend, a travel agency or visa agency to act on your behalf. There is no need to make an appointment. Mailed applications are not acceptable. If there are Chinese Visa Application Centers (CVASC) in your country, you can go there to submit the application; mailed applications are accepted in some CVASCs.

Processing Time

It usually takes 4 working days for processing. For example, you submit application on Monday and then you can pick up your visa on Thursday. An additional US$ 30 is charged for one working day processing, and US$ 20 for 2-3 working day processing.

Work visa fees

The fee is the same as the fee for other types of Chinese visa. Generally speaking, Chinese embassy or consulate only issue single entry Z visa to aliens, thus we only list single entry Z visa fees for some major countries here. For more details, please click China Visa Fees.

US Citizens

Canadian Citizens

UK Citizens

Australian Citizens

USD 140

CAD 142

GBP 151

AUD 109.5

Which visa applies family members of work visa in China applicant?

Accompanying family members should apply for an S visa by submitting an invitation letter from the relative with a work visa in China and a ‘proof of relationship’, i.e. their marriage certificate for a spouse, or birth certificate for a child.

Note: The most common employment in China for foreigners is teaching English for which the minimum qualifications are stated as having English as a first language and having at least a Bachelors degree and two year teaching experience.

Cost of living in China



It is cheap. A subway or bus ticket costs around 20cents per trip. Taxis from the airport to the center cost around 5$. Even China’s famed highspeed trains are inexpensive, considering the distance they cover.


Not just delicious but also very affordable. Of course, it depends on the occasion and taste as well. Simple but delicious noodle or dumplings will cost not more than RMB15. A candlelight dinner only sets you back with RMB100 – 200 per person.


While buying luxury goods in China can actually be quite expensive, some experiences that would be considered “luxury” in other countries are actually quite affordable in China.

For example, going to the spa or getting a massage starts around RMB50 to 80 per hour at a local establishment. But there are also luxurious spas, especially in major cities in China where you can be pampered for a whole evening for just a few hundred RMB. 

Sichuan and Chengdu

We are based in Chengdu / Sichuan. The cost of living here is also way cheaper than the ‘big’ cities like Beijing or Shanghai – almost half for most items. So even when the teaching salary in Shanghai or Beijing is likely to be higher, at the end of the day you will probably get more out of your buck here in lovely Sichuan.

Government supported short- and long term TEFL programs in Sichuan, China. Member of SEAIE under the Education Department of Sichuan Province.

Government supported short- and long term TEFL program in Sichuan, China. Member of SEAIE under the Education Department of Sichuan Province.

  • 26 Shanxi Street, Chengdu,
    Sichuan, China
  • +86 028 86642472(Office)
  • Monday to Friday
    9am to 6pm Beijing Time
  • © TeachDiscoverChina.